Sunday, August 1, 2010

Savory Smoked Salmon

Photo by: Dave Kilhefner

The Springer our friend Campbell landed, that got smoked.

A crusty crab fisherman introduced me to smoking Salmon in the late 90's when I was working as deckhand on a tender, based out of Kodiak. The tender (tenders are boats that pick up Salmon from the fishing boats and deliver the fish to the cannery) would anchor up in bay's where the seiners would be fishing for sockeye, dog, or silver salmon. My job was to tie up the seiner to our boat, help work the suction hose that would transfer the fish, fuel the boat, and talk about who was catching the most fish.

The crusty fisherman (like most fisherman) showed me how to smoke Salmon on our off time. This recipe is a guarantee for tasty smoked salmon.

Take a couple fillets, put them in a zip lock baggy.

Brine: 1-2 tablespoons of coarse sea salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy or teriyaki sauce
enough pineapple or apple juice to cover the salmon

Let the fish soak 24-48 hours. I like soaking the fish for 48 hours.

After the soak, take the salmon and give it a lite wash to get excess juices off.

Next step is to slice strips against the grain and place on a rack to dry over night. This process gives the fish a glaze coat and seals in the flavor.

Next, put the fish in your smoker (I've used a Little Chief for years, its a reliable smoker, reasonable priced that fits in tight corners.) I like my salmon smoked for 12 hours, smoking for more then 12 will dry it out. I fill up the smoke tray 2 times. If you like smokey fish fill the tray a third time.

TaDa! Delicious smoked Salmon!