Sunday, October 28, 2012

Meet LCO guide Corey Koff

Corey with a steelhead.

 About two years ago we received an email from Corey Koff saying he was looking for extra work after his season ended at the Royal Coachmen in Alaska.  We already had our guides lined up for the season but needed an extra hand running the gear boat or being the "Swamper" the Swamper is the person that helps set up camp, push of rocks when the 18 foot boat gets stuck, runs to and from the boat to get dinner fixings, builds fires and anything else they see needs to be done. It's not a piece a cake.  You can tell a lot about a persons character and work ethics when they swamp.  Corey was hard working, saw what needed to be done and did it, friendly with guest and humble. After the first trip we knew he was going be a fantastic guide and team player  and work into a  position where he could come back year after year. Corey is one of our fall steelhead guides and we are thrilled to work with him.  I asked him a few questions so we can get to know him a little better.

Corey guiding in Futaleufu.
How long have you been guiding and where have you guided.
I  have guided for the last 15 years. First as a whitewater rafting guide in Southeast TN. I loved guiding whitewater, but becoming a fly-fishing guide was my ultimate goal. I succeeded in that, and after two seasons guiding fly-fishing trips in the mountains of East Tennessee, I decided I wanted to head out west. A serious of circumstances landed me a job at the Royal Coachman Lodge in Bristol Bay, Alaska where I have worked for the last 6 years. In between seasons I jumped at a chance to guide for trout at the Futa Lodge in Chilean Patagonia. My next goal was to fish and guide the waters of the Pacific Northwest, and 3 years ago I was lucky enough to get connected with Marty and Mia and start guiding day and overnight camp trips on the Grande Ronde and John Day Rivers.
Alaska
What is your ideal day on the river.
 My ideal day on the river is simple. There’s no-where I would rather spend my time than moving along a river. And to do that with good friends, or new friends, makes it that much more special.

What living person inspires you and why? 
I am continually inspired by my family. A mix of tireless work ethics, humor, professionalism, compassion, and a drive to learn.

Corey is available to guide day trips for steelhead on the John Day River this November 10th-16th. Send us an email to book a trip at littlecreekjd@earthlink.net.