Friday, June 29, 2012

The Lost Art of Penmenship


The words flow from the tip of the pen, ink spilling on the classic white paper, such as water trickling over rocks in a river.  I can’t think of the last time I picked up a pen to write something other than jaunting down directions, signing a credit card receipt or scribbling down notes at a meeting.

We have become so accustomed to plastic keyboards and static screens that write for us with a touch of a button, one has to wonder if we have abandoned the tradition of writing with a pen or pencil all together. As I watch Tegan learn her ABC’s and clumsily attempt to write her name, I find comfort knowing we haven’t abandoned the historical style of writing with an instrument entirely.

Just like casting a rod, handwriting requires the motor coordination  of the hand, wrist and elbow to form letters and to write them on paper, the beauty is, everyone has their own style of writing. Some people are graced with better coordination then others and can execute the curves of each letter with style, while others write with speed and hast and the result is scrawl, I tend to do the latter.


 I started writing this with a pen and piece of paper but without the technology of a scanner I wasn't able to share it, so there it is, technology prevails but let's not forget to pick up that pen and let the words flow.



Japanese Calligraphy